Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez are over—officially this time.
The former power couple released a joint statement exclusively to theTodayshow on Thursday, announcing that they have called off their engagement.
“We have realized we are better as friends and look forward to remaining so,” the couple said. “We will continue to work together and support each other on our shared businesses and projects. We wish the best for each other and our children. Out of respect for them, the only other comment we have to say is thank you to everyone who has sent kind words and support.”
News of the pair’s split comes after initial reports claimed that the couple had already called it quits last month. A day after outlets reported Lopez and Rodriguez to be over, they released a statement saying that they were merely “working through some things” and were photographed spending time together in the Dominican Republic, where Lopez is currently filming a movie.
The two first began dating in 2017 and became engaged in 2019. The couple was originally set to marry last year in a lavish ceremony in Italy, but ultimately canceled the nuptials due to gathering restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Though sources previously expressed that Lopez was willing to do “whatever it takes” to maintain their relationship, their split reportedly boiled down to trust issues. “After months of questioning things and fighting, Jennifer felt like she could no longer trust Alex anymore,” a source previously told E!